Now available, and ready for your web app!
The Dojo 1.6 release was a substantial undertaking and involves efforts from the largest Dojo team ever. We’re reinventing Dojo for the present and the future, and this release is the first major step towards our plans for Dojo 2.0. The tremendous efforts and work of the Dojo community has made this release possible, with significant improvements in a short amount of time.
What’s New in 1.6?
Dojo 1.6 contains a number of great additions and refinements. Key highlights include:
- Object store: Rethinking data stores in a manner that’s generally easier to work with and more flexible than dojo.data.
- LESS Dijit themes: Use the popular LESS CSS framework for simplified theme creation.
- HTML5 data attributes: Use data-* attributes instead of custom attributes, so your markup will validate against the HTML5 validator.
- Widget watch(): Follow changes to widget attributes with watch().
- Dojo WebSocket: A simple API for working with WebSockets and other real-time Comet techniques.
- CommonJS AMD: Dojo now supports the CommonJS AMD format for defining modules.
- Charts: The project now contains new Spider and Gantt charts, and support for Canvas text.
- Scene Graph: Dojo Mobile’s scene graph implementation enables powerful replay capabilities.
- Fixes: Many, many improvements to support new browsers including IE9, compatibility with non-browser environments, widget improvements, and shiny polish all around.
We’ve also made substantial progress on Dojo Mobile, available now for your mobile web apps!
Visit the new Dojo Features section to watch interviews with key Dojo committers and users and learn more about this release, as well as the thousands of outstanding features that have been in Dojo for several years.
Testing and Compatibility
In total, we’ve resolved more than 600 issues since Dojo 1.5. The DOH test suite of tens of thousands of tests passes in all officially supported browsers:
- Chrome: 8.x and newer
- Firefox: 3.5.x and 3.6.x
- Internet Explorer: 6, 7, and 8
- Opera: 11.x
- Safari: 4.1.x and 5.0.x
The code was completed before Internet Explorer 9 and Firefox 4 were released. That said, we’ve fixed all known issues with these browsers as well (testing was done with IE9 RC and Firefox 4 RC1).
Dojo is also tested with popular mobile browsers including iOS 4.x, Android 2.x and 3.x, and passes for all supported features in Dojo Mobile, and most features throughout Dojo. Work is also near completion for support with Blackberry 6 on mobile phones and the PlayBook.
Use Direct from the CDN, or Download
Get the Dojo release that’s right for you. Choose from CDN, optimized builds, or source versions with full demos and utilities.
Work on Dojo 1.7 is already underway. We’re anticipating releases every 3 months in 2011 as we make progress towards Dojo 2.0! A full roadmap will be available shortly so you’re aware of the latest changes, and to know how to get involved.
Read the complete Dojo 1.6 release notes for full details on everything that has changed with Dojo since 1.5.
And as always, we appreciate your interest and usage. If you find an issue with Dojo, have a suggestion, or see anything on the site or within the documentation that you think should be better, please register for a Dojo Foundation account and open a ticket.