Each week we get a bit closer to Dojo 2. Let us know if you would like to get involved!
Last week in Dojo 2
We are currently focused on the packages in Dojo 2 platform, the replacement for the dojo package from Dojo 1. With Dojo 2, platform is a collection of ten packages (loader, core, dom, routing, crypto, class declaration, i18n, parser, io, and dstore) as outlined in the Dojo 2 roadmap.
With each package maintained as a separate GitHub repo, one of our goals for Dojo 2 is to make sure that each README package provides a very solid introduction to how each package works. For packages that are close to alpha completion (loader, core, dom), we have been spending extra time refining their README contents.
Last week we made progress on the following Dojo 2 packages:
Overall, the core package is near alpha complete. Core contains APIs for feature detection, asynchronous and streaming operations, basic event handling, and making HTTP requests.
- More updates to README
- Review of PR for load to use Require interface from dojo-loader for AMDRequire
- Review of PR to change the has module to facilitate loading it as a plugin via loader
- Improve tests for request/li>
dstore is a recently released update to dojo/store. We are currently converting dstore to TypeScript for Dojo 2, as well as looking for areas to improve or streamline the dstore API. We are currently in the early stages of this conversion, with a few core modules converted thus far.
- Initial PR to Convert Request to TypeScript
The Dojo 2 i18n package extends jQuery Globalize, a full-featured library that provides number, currency, date, and string localization. We are wrapping this capability with our preferred APIs and extensions for Dojo 2. We are in the early development stage with this package.
The Dojo 2 routing module adds more features than the Dojo 1 router, including support for both hash change and HTML5 history APIs. We are currently working to refine the initial pull requests for routing.
- Review complete for the initial routing pull request
The dom package is considered near alpha complete. No changes or updates were made this week.
The parser package parses DOM representations into objects. This package is in the API planning stages, with a revised proposal currently under review.
Dojo 2’s crypto API provides a cross-platform, user-friendly, extensible cryptographic API. It Initially includes a set of hashing and signing algorithms to support common use cases like OAuth and AWS request validation. We are currently reviewing our initial pull request for the crypto API.
This week’s Dojo 2 efforts
Here we’ve identified a few of our aspirations for the upcoming week. This week in Dojo 2, we have more code reviews to complete and pull requests to land. If you’re interested in helping out in these areas, or other parts of Dojo 2, just let us know, either in the comments or on IRC.
- README updates
- Continue work on bower setup
- Review improved tests for aspect#on and enhanced test coverage
- More review of request tests
- README updates
- Finish review primary pull request and resolve loose ends in implementation
- Finish open reviews of API refinements, bugs, code style, and README updates
- Finish initial crypto API review
- Continue work on i18n#load
- Review typedefs for cldrjs and Globalize
- Convert dstore/Rest and tests to TypeScript
- Review in progress TypeScript conversions of other dstore modules
- Refine and update proposal
Weekly IRC meeting
As usual, our weekly IRC meeting is on irc.freenode.net #dojo-meeting at 9am Pacific time on Tuesday.
Last week, many of the key team members were out, so the meeting was skipped by most.
View the Dojo weekly meeting logs
This week’s agenda
- 1.11 release plan
- Discuss open 2.x challenges
The Dojo 2 loader, core, and dom are near an alpha state! Progress is being made on routing, crypto, i18, dstore, class delcaration and parser.Please let us know if you plan to work on any features, or would like to get involved, so we can collaborate.